Hopewell Baptist Church began in 1858 as the result of a vision by Rev. Willis Abbott. Hopewell’s first Pastor Rev. Willis Abbott lived in the community and donated the land to build the church. He responded to God’s Call on his life to preach the gospel and there was no place of worship in the community. Not only did Rev. Abbott donate the land, but he also donated the lumber to build the first church. The original one-room church stood where the present church now stands and services were held twice a month. The congregation was small and people made many sacrifices to attend. Rev. Willis Abbott died on May 5, 1912 and is was laid to rest in the church cemetery.
The First Sunday School was organized in 1906. The Women’s Missionary Union was organized in 1947.
As the years passed, the small church could no longer hold the growing congregation. A new brick church was constructed under the leadership of Pastor C.V. Landreth. This structure is in the rear of the building that houses the church offices. services in the new sanctuary began on July 2 1950.
On April 4, 1955 mission work was begun in the Bounty Land Community which later resulted in the founding of Bounty Land Baptist Church. Rev. Dewitt Snelgrove served as the first part-time pastor.
As the growth continued at Hopewell the present sanctuary was constructed in 1955, Additional renovations began in May 2000.
For 156 Years Hopewell Baptist Church has stood as a light pointing others towards God. Missions have always been a priority. God has blessed us greatly over the years. Our Current Pastor Rev. Tony Qualkinbush is the 37th Pastor called to preach in our community. We look forward to the future as we continue to serve God by advancing his kingdom here around the world.